The vastSolver is an Autodesk® Maya® plugin that lets you convert any vertex animation into a skin weights and joints animation. The main use is to compress mesh animations, such as a blendshape-driven animation or a cloth/muscle simulation, for the use in game engines.
The vastSolver comes with a compact GUI that lets you set basic parameters (such as a maximum number of joints) and two additional controls to fine-tune solving. Also, a Maya command is provided: there is a User Guide that contains command documentation.
On a technical note, the solver implements an iterative algorithm that searches for the best approximation of a vertex animation. The solver is robust to a non-uniform deformation (e.g. when a portion of the mesh does not have any deformation). The solver implements a custom solving strategy with a goal of the best results for fewer joints. For this purpose, it features Laplacian smooth skin weights regularization. The user can fine-tune parameters of Skin Regularization to get better results or to produce skin weights that resemble hand-painted weights.
By default, the solver solves for translations and rotations of joints. The user can choose to solve for joints scaling. This usually improves results.
The plugin comes with a User Guide and a test scene.
Demo video: https://vimeo.com/405024331
License Activation Process
To activate the vastSolver plugin follow these steps:
- After the purchase is completed you will immediately receive a product key by email;
- Enter your email address (associated with your Autodesk App Store account) and the product key in the vastSolver activation window;
- Generate and copy a response key;
- Go to vidiaapps.com and paste the response key to get an activation code;
- Enter the activation code in vastSolver activation window and press Activate.
The product key can be used to install the plugin on up to 2 personal devices.